What is homeschooling is really like! This series of interviews with homeschool Moms tells it like it is.
1. Tell me a little about how and who you homeschool. Why did you decide to homeschool?
I am homeschooling my 14 year old grandchild. I've been doing it for about 5 months now and the reason for home schooling is that he had been bullied for the last 3 years and the teachers were not doing anything about it. The last straw was when he was hit in between the legs by the school bully - enough was enough.
2. How has your homeschooling approach changed since you began? What is working for you now?
It hasn't really changed apart from that we are more organised now than when we started.
3. What is your biggest surprise about homeschooling? Is there an unexpected benefit or drawback in it?
How much l enjoy it! The only drawback is when he tries it on a bit, you just know they would'nt dare do it in the classroom. But it's not too often and it's to be expected.
4 What is homeschooling REALLY like?
I wish we had done it sooner. My grandson is so much happier. It's also freedom from the worry of what's happening at school with the bullies.
5. What would your absolutely perfect homeschooling day look like.
My perfect day would be to do the lessons and maybe have a tutor come in if only for an hour or so, just as an extra as my grandson has alot of catching up to do.
6. Please dish the dirt on homeschooling! What is the problem with it, or what is your biggest challenge in homeschooling. What do you like least about it?
My only problem is am I getting it right? It's a big responsibility and I had to fight to get this far.
7. What is your favourite homeschooling memory so far?
Last week when the guy from the LEA (local authority) came to check on us. He said he was so pleased with his progress he didn't need to come back for at least a year - that was a fantastic moment.
8. What was the moment in time when you absolutely knew you had made the right decision to homeschool?
The look on my grandson's face when we told him he didn't have to go back to school.
9. What would you go back and change if you could?
I should have done it much earlier.
10. As a homeschooling mom, what is your own special take on it - or what have you learned that you would like to pass on?
I have learned that there is help out there if you need it. I got alot of information off moneysavingexpert.com forum - the people on there were priceless in their help. They've followed Jordans and my story from day one and their advice and caring response got us through a really difficult time. My daughter was against home schooling and it took alot to get her to agree to it.
Many thanks to homeschool mom Marie for agreeing to be interviewed.
If you are a homeschool Mom (or you used to be!) and think you can contribute, then please ask ask me for an interview. I would love to hear your story.
Just starting out as a homeschool mom?
As a new homeschool mom you may be wondering how to really get started with homeschooling? Here is my advice on how to start homeschooling your child.
Do you Homeschool?
Get creative and try some new ideas. Every month I produce a newsletter to inspire and encourage you in your homeschooling. Click the button below now to get inspired!