Home School Tips
Looking for tips to make your homeschooling go smoother?
Here are some homeschool tips and ideas to make you a hero!
WorkPockets - an easy way of allocating work each day.
Daybooks - Collect your ideas together to be ready for anything.
The Picnic Fix
One of my home school tips is to make up a picnic-fix box and store it in your car for emergencies.
It sounds simple, and won't take you long, but it can really make a difference to your homeschooling flexibility.
It takes a little planning, but this picnic fix has three ways to make you a hero
- As homeschoolers we can be flexible. Sometimes our homeschooling field trips or outings can take longer (and be more enjoyable) than we thought and we get to that 'rushing home for tea' part. Eating out is is often an expensive option - let alone finding a healthy option. You now have a choice! Why not linger and enjoy - your dinner is ready in the car
- We all have terrible homeschooling days. The children are fighting, everyone's hungry, the TV is blaring! And you burn tea! Never mind. Gather them up and head to the car. Even if you just sit in the drive to eat, everyone will love the surprise!
- You have a real emergency and have to rush off at a moments notice. Whatever the problem, you can at least hand out some food to the children when they need it.
To make your box, gather items that won't go off if not refrigerated
. Remember it may get hot in the trunk, and items may be shaken around. Mark on the side of the box the earliest use-by date of the items, so you know when you need to use your box.
Let me know if you manage to keep your new picnic-fix longer than a week!
Food tips - examples of what to pack in your box :
crackers and an unopened jar of jam or peanut jelly
dried fruit and nuts
cereal bars (less likely to melt than chocolate)
cans or bottles of drink.
flour tortillas with canned meat/ tuna or beans to use as a filling. We like tinned tuna with mayonaise and sweetcorn.
Forks, napkins, wipes
Friday Fun Days
in South Africa
Thought I'd share a home school tip that works for us.
We have a Friday Fun Day every week.
I homeschool on a four hours a day , four days a week schedule - and if all goals have been achieved and weeks work completed, we have our fun day.
In 8 years we have hardly missed a Fun Friday. On this day we watch educational dvds, work on projects, play educational games, go on nature walks, field trips etc. I have found that this helps to break the monotony of structured learning in our homeschooling, encourage self disipline, responsibility and allows the child to learn work ethics.
Should someone not be complete they may not participate (even though this is often harder on me than the child, I know that they are learning about choices and consequences). We incorporate art, craft and music in our daily program.
Hope this homeschooling tip is helpful to someone.
Click here for more Homeschool Scheduling Ideas
Got a great Homeschooling Tip?
Why not share it?
If you have found a trick that works really well for you - now is your chance to share!
I would love to hear about it. Fill out the form below and share it with us.
Home School Tips
Enjoy this page? Please share with your friends. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.